Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Government 2.0 and The Usual Suspects

Government 2.0 and The Usual Suspects

June 30th, 2009 · No Comments

Just yesterday I blogged about my skepticism that opening government data will fundamentally change the picture as far as citizen engagement and participation is concerned. I know there are differing opinions on the topic and I do agree that more data is better than less.

Earlier today I’ve come across an article from Nextgov about the sixth annual Personal Democracy Forum started on Monday in Manhattan, which “generally gave the Obama administration credit for moving the transparency ball forward” with Jeff Jarvis advocating transparency by default.

According to the article, a representative from the Sunlight Foundation stressed that private sector sites are improving very rapidly and the gap with government sites is widening.

Now, why do I have a sense of deja vu? Haven’t I heard these same remarks five or even ten years ago, when consultants, software vendors, system integrators were saying that government lags behind on its online presence?

http://blogs.gartner.com/andrea_dimaio/2009/06/30/government-20-and-the-usual-suspects/