Monday, November 10, 2008

Cayman Islands Freedom of Info Chief Named

Freedom of Info Chief Named

Published on Friday, November 7, 2008

 
 

By Tad Stoner

tad@caymannetnews.com


 

Jennifer Dilbert, longtime head of the Cayman Islands Government Office in the UK, will return to George Town at Christmastime to become the first Freedom of Information (FOI) Commissioner in the new year.

H.E the Governor Stuart Jack made the announcement on Wednesday morning (5 November), selecting Ms Dilbert from among three candidates, which included Complaints Commissioner John Epp and Tourism Attraction Board Chief Executive Gilbert Connolly.

"I am delighted. I have been in London for eight-and-a-half years, and it's a second home, but I miss my church and my family and my home. I'm coming home to my country and family, and I anticipate this will be a very exciting job," Mrs Dilbert, Cayman Islands Representative in the UK, told Cayman Net News.

She would return to George Town almost immediately, she said, to begin informal work, then return to London to pack, finally moving at the end of the year.

"I'm coming home on 16 November and will be doing some general work, then I'll come back to London to wind things up and I'll be back to the Cayman Islands around Christmas," she said.

Mrs Dilbert has been in government for more than 25 years, 15 of them as a financial-services supervisor. She headed the Financial Services Department, precursor to the Cayman Islands Monetary Authority (CIMA), where she was managing director in 2002.

She has managed the Cayman Islands Currency Board and the 1979 population census and was Executive Director of Deutsche Bank (Cayman) from 1996 to 1999. In 2005, Mrs Dilbert was named an MBE and is a Justice of the Peace.

Her biggest initial FOI challenge, she said, would be "starting off a new office. We just don't know how much time will be taken up, how the staff will function, the number of cases; we just don't know until we see how people comply and what is involved."

In the long term, Mrs Dilbert said, a greater concern was general awareness of the law and its requirements.


 

FULL ARTICLE: <http://www.caymannetnews.com/news/newspublish/home.print.php?news_id=11254>